Friday, January 28, 2011

Homemade T-shirts

Ok so if you are country (or just poor) like I was growing up you probably had a wardrobe littered with homemade t-shirts. Most of mine growing up were plain white ts decorated w technologically advanced (for 1989 anyway) tshirt paints. One of my favorites was one my mom had made as a test shirt it had various dinosaurs made from dipping Dino shaped sponges into electric fluorescent shades of puff paint then transferring to the tshirt. Again it was probably a test shirt but I quickly integrated it as a staple to my regular clothing rotation. Sadly for the sake of this discussion I was unable to locate either the shirt or a photo (here at my house, I'm sure there is a photo somewhere) but that was where the homemade tshirt originated in my life. There have obviously been some advances in the techniques and products available one of which is tshirt transfer sheets for your printer. Being a vintage/generally crazy tshirt lover I always have some ideas for a custom tshirt, but it wasn't since a new kids on the block homemade concert ts gone wrong incident that I attempted to make another one. With the arrival of my son my creative "nesting" energies have been in overdrive and so came the urges to design and make clothing for him. My husband is also a vintage/crazy tshirt lover so I draw on his fashion sense for a lot of inspiration for our sons clothes. These were a simple and fun project I completed for him using 2 of my favorite cinematic folk "heroes"


the bandit onesie



the scarface bib


How-to and tips:
- I started w a blank bib and onesie, then used tshirt transfers specifically designed for colored shirts (both Avery and Print Works make a good product that is available at Target, Walmart, and craft stores like Joanns, hobby lobby, michaels, etc.). These transfers go on the front or "printed side up" and are peeled prior to the iron on, so unlike white tshirt transfers the photos did not need to be inverted, but in some transfers the photos used may need to be inverted then printed so it transfers correctly.I also used some transfer letters from the michaels these come in various fonts sizes and textures (check your sales papers for your local craft store and stock up when they go on sale, they are a good inexpensive craft staple to have).
 

*A special note, it is illegal to market and distribute trademarked logos or artwork so no setting up shop out of the trunk of your car, however Im sure "donations" for custom orders can be readily accepted ;p
have fun creating :)

2 comments:

  1. I admire what you have done here. I like the part where you say you are doing this..I got a nice idea .Thanks for sharing..Keep up your work...
    Tshirts India

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent information....I want to thank you for this informative read, I really appreciate sharing this great post. Keep up your work.

    T Shirts for Men | Personilzed t Shirt

    ReplyDelete